This photo, along with several others, has been going viral on Instagram and Facebook pages. Another turtle has ended up dead at Tungku, this time with its head intact. This is very sad.
We are not sure if it is a Olive Ridley (Lepidochelys olivacea) or a Green (Chelonia mydas). Who else spotted this?
Please share this to raise awareness!
Reasons why the turtle died:
- Died naturally and got washed up
- Stranded and died
- Dozens of turtles have been reported killed of the coast of Sabah and this could be one of the dead ones
- Dogs attacked it (but this might not be relevant here as the head is still intact)
- Ate plastic thrown by us people and it died as it thought it might be a jellyfish
- Perhaps increased activity by companies in Northern Brunei that result in chemicals or food depletion or boat accidents
What do you think?
Whatever the reason, we need this to be shared around and raise awareness. Sigh.
Thank you to ‘Jordon’ for the photo.
This is the 8th turtle found dead, the 3rd on Tungku and recently there was a dead Dugong (Dugong dugon) too on Tungku.
For proper animal complaints, contact the Wildlife Division and report illegal activities to them.
Source: 1StopBrunei Wildlife Facebook
This carcass was subsequently identified as a Green Turtle.