Dead fish float in water fouled by untreated waste discharged from the Unitex Rubber Co factory in Rayong’s Klaeng district. The factory has been ordered closed for 15 days and told to improve the waste treatment system.
Photo: Jumphol Nikomruk

Thailand: Factory closed for discharging waste, causing fish deaths
By Jumphol Nikomruk, 27th December 2016;

Authorities have ordered the temporary closure of a latex rubber factory for 15 days for discharging untreated waste into a canal, killing many fish and polluting the water source.

Kornpatthavee Muangnoi, chief of Rayong industrial office, said the Unitex Rubber Co factory was also ordered to improve its waste treatment facility during its 15-day closure.

Action would also be taken against executives of the factory for releasing waste into a public canal in tambon Thang Kwian, causing a huge number of fish deaths.

The move follows complaints from nearby residents that the factory had dumped toxic waste into the canal, causing a foul smell and killing the aquatic life.

Witthaya Chayanont, Klaeng district chief, ordered local officials to inspect the factory on Monday.

They confirmed the factory, which purchased 50 tonnes of latex a day, had illegally discharged untreated waste into the community’s water source.

Source: Bangkok Post

The photo of the dead fishes isn’t very clear, but the casualties shown could be a species of catfish from the family Siluridae known as Ompok siluroides.

  1. Dr Nabila Sarkawi showing the eight-inch multi-hooked squid jig that was stuck in the Dolphin’s stomach.
  2. The killer multi-hooked jig.
  3. Dr Nabila and a WRU Ranger conducting the initial post mortem on site.
  4. The squid jig that was deeply embedded in the Dolphin’s stomach, causing it to turn septic and this caused the mammal to starve, weaken and eventually die.

Photos: Sabah Wildlife Department

Malaysia: Hooks damage Dolphin’s stomach, causing septicaemia, starvation
26th December 2016;

An adult male Rough-Toothed Dolphin (Steno bredanensis) that was found washed ashore at Kampung Pintasan, near here on the night of Christmas Eve, had an eight-inch squid jig embedded in its stomach.

The multi-hooked jig caused severe trauma and other complications, said the Sabah Wildlife Department in a statement Monday.

“The Dolphin died of septicaemia and starvation as it could not eat properly or digest its food,” said Dr Sen Nathan, Assistant Director of the Department.

“Our WRU (Wildlife Rescue Unit) team reached the site and brought the carcass to Kota Kinabalu for a post mortem and what we found out was quite sad,” said Dr Sen.

He added it is always sad to see such a beautiful marine wildlife lose its life due to human folly, even if it was indirectly done.

“I would like to also advice the general public that if they do come across these kind of marine mammal beaching in the future, do give SWD a call at 0128019289 or email us at rhinosbh@gmail.com,” he added.

Meanwhile, SWD director, Augustine Tuuga said they were alerted of the discovery of the fresh carcass by Ms Kristy Inus, a New Straits Times journalist.

“She said that there was a Facebook posting about this ill-fated Dolphin beaching at Kampung Pintasan an we immediately dispatched our WRU to investigate and to find out what happened to the Dolphin,” said Tuuga.

“Though it was Christmas Eve, WRU always has a team on standby to attend to these kind of cases,” he added.

Source: BorneoToday

The multi-hook jig that was recovered from the stomach of the Dolphin

Malaysia: Squid jig found in stomach of Dolphin carcass
26th December 2016;

The fresh carcass of an adult male Rough-toothed Dolphin (Steno bredanensis) was found on the shore at Kampung Pintasan, Kota Belud, about 75km from here, on the night of Christmas eve with a squid jig stuck in its stomach.

Sabah Wildlife Director Augustine Tuuga said the squid jig measuring eight inches was embedded in the stomach causing severe trauma and other complications.

“We immediately dispatched our Wildlife Rescue Unit (WRU) to further investigate this case and to find out what happened to the dolphin.

"Though it was Christmas eve, WRU had a team on standby to attend to these kind of cases,” he said in a statement here.

Sabah Wildlife Assistant Director Dr Sen Nathan said the WRU team brought the carcass back to Kota Kinabalu for post mortem and was saddened by the discovery of the squid jig.

He said the metal jig, used for catching squid, also led to septicemia (blood poisoning) and starvation, resulting in the mammal’s death.

“It is sad to see such a beautiful marine wildlife lose its life due to human folly, even if it was indirectly related.

"I would like to also advise the general public that if they do come across this kind of marine mammal beaching in the future, do give the Sabah Wildlife Department a call at 0128019289 or email us at rhinosbh@gmail.com,” he said.

Source: The Star

Orange Striped Hermit Crab (Clibanarius infraspinatus)
Changi Creek, 17th October 2016

This Orange Striped Hermit Crab appeared to have been caught by an angler, then discarded on the ground and simply left to die. Unfortunately, such abhorrent behaviour seems to be quite common among local anglers.

Photos of the carcass of an adult male Rough-toothed Dolphin washed up on the beach in Kampung Pintasan in Kota Belud, Sabah. It apparently died due to complications arising from a squid jig that was embedded in its stomach wall.

Source: Ishee Ishmael Facebook [1], 2

  1. Sabah Wildlife Department veterinarian Dr Nablila Sarkawi conducting a post-mortem on the Dolphin found dead on the shore of Kampung Pintasan beach in Kota Belud
  2. The eight-inch squid jig found inside the Dolphin’s stomach, which caused severe trauma and complications leading to the mammal’s death

Photos: Sabah Wildlife Department

Malaysia: Stranded Dolphin died of stomach complications, says Sabah Wildlife Department
By Kristy Inus, 25th December 2016;

The Rough-toothed Dolphin (Steno bredanensis) washed ashore at the Kampung Pintasan beach in Kota Belud yesterday has died of stomach complications after ingesting a squid jig.

Sabah Wildlife Department (SWD) assistant director Dr Sen Nathan told the New Straits Times that a post mortem revealed that the eight-inch squid jig was imbedded in the mammal’s stomach, causing severe trauma and other complications.

“This adult male Dolphin could not eat properly and died of septicaemia caused by the severe wound that the squid jig inflicted in the Dolphin’s stomach.

"It was a fresh carcass… We estimated it probably died within 24 hours (since being washed ashore). But the jig had been in the stomach for some time,” he said when contacted.

Yesterday, a Facebook user shared photographs of the carcass of a Steno bredanensis (Rough-toothed Dolphin), estimated around six feet in length.

Policeman Ismail Daud, via his Facebook account named, ‘Ishee Ishmael’, also shared a video recording of the discovery made sometime after 4pm.

Ismail, 42, said he had stopped by the beach with his family when they stumbled upon the carcass.

“At first I thought it was a piece of wood… We only realised what it was when we got nearer,” he said, adding that it was his first time seeing a Dolphin up close in person.

Source: New Straits Times